Industrial Communication – Efficiency and productivity based on proven standards
SIMATIC NET is the name of the entire family of industrial communication network products and systems from Siemens.
Without industrial communication, complex tasks like control, monitoring, remote management, data acquisition and transmission, etc. would be impossible. Digital transformation would also be impossible without powerful communication solutions. The reliable, secure networking of machines and plants based on professional planning and realization using SCALANCE, RUGGEDCOM and SIMATIC NET network components provides the basis for all this to happen.
Industrial Ethernet (IE) is the use of Ethernet in an industrial environment with protocols that provide determinism and real-time control.
Industrial Ethernet Hardware and Software product range:
- Industrial Ethernet Switches / Media Converters – SCALANCE X
- Network Security with SCALANCE S and SCALANCE M
- Network management and diagnostics with SINEC NMS, SNMP OPC- and SINEMA Server, SCALANCE TAP104 and BUS ANALYZER.
- Industrial IoT Gateways – SIMATIC CloudConnect 7 for cloud computing with MQTT protocol.
- System Interfacing – Communication processors for connecting Basic and Advanced controllers to Cloud, PROFINET and Ethernet.
- Cabling Technology – quick and error-free installation with FastConnect.
- Network Transitions between industrial Ethernet, PROFIBUS and AS-Interface with IE/PB- and IE/AS-i LINK PN IO.
***software for SCALANCE ? ? ?
Industrial Wireless Communication
Industrial Wireless LAN – IWLAN
Industrial Routers – SCALANCE M, for communication using GSM, UMTS, LTE or wired via ADSL and SHDSL or PROFIBUS/ MPIS.
WiMAX – private, long distance wireless WAN with RUGGEDDCOM WIN
WirelessHART with SITRANS
***software for IWLAN wireless comms ? ? ?
Industrial Remote Communication
***software for IWLAN wireless comms ? ? ?
RUGGEDCOM Ethernet Switches / Routers / Media Converters
- Rugged Communications Equipment for Harsh Environments, covering an extremely wide temperature range, zero-packet-loss technology under high electromagnetic interference and enhanced Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (eRSTP™) for ultra-high-speed network fault recovery.
***software for IWLAN wireless comms ? ? ?
OPC UA (Open Platform Communications – Unified Architecture) is an open standard for horizontal communication from machine to machine (M2M) and for vertical communication from machine all the way to the cloud. It’s vendor- and platform-independent, supports extensive security mechanisms, and can be optimally combined with PROFINET in a shared Industrial Ethernet network.
- Vendor-independent and platform-neutral
- Integrated security concept (encryption, signing, and authentication)
- Consistent, end-to-end, and scalable
- Information model and semantic services
- Unlimited parallel operation with PROFINET
- Real-time capability of OPC UA PubSub in combination with Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN)
- Standardized interface and widespread availability
- Secured communication directly in the protocol with no additional hardware
- Direct connection and communication across all automation levels
- Easy and unambiguous interpretation of data
- Simple Ethernet-based networking, uses existing Industrial Ethernet infrastructure
- Internationally standardized interfaces for simple machine integration (companion specifications)
- High performance thanks to fast communication
- When TSN hardware and OPC UA PubSub are used, OPC UA data can be transmitted deterministically, independent of the network load
OPC UA portfolio
Siemens offers a comprehensive hardware and software portfolio for Totally Integrated Automation (TIA) that extends from the field level to the control and operator levels. As an open communication standard, OPC UA plays an important role for the entire TIA portfolio.
|System / Equipment||OPC UA supported by|
|MES||For a consistent, end-to-end, standardized, open, and homogeneous system environment all the way to the MES level||SIMATIC IT|
|SCADA System||For an open data connection at the SCADA level||SIMATIC PCS 7
WinCC OA RT
WinCC V7 RT
WinCC Professional RT
|Network management||Transmit data within a network and to cloud-based systems via OPC UA||SINEMA Server|
|Energy management||For exchanging energy data with third-party systems and products||SIMATIC Energy Manager PRO|
|Industrial communication||For industrial communication via OPC UA||SIMATIC NET software
TeleControl Server Basic
|Controllers||For a vendor-neutral connection between controllers and Industrial Ethernet networks||SIMATIC OPC UA S7-1500
SIMATIC S7-400 with 443-1 OPC UA communication processor
|Operation and monitoring||From HMI applications to diagnostic and signalling software for industrial PCs||SIMATIC Comfort Panel
SIMATIC WinCC RT Advanced
SIMATIC IPC DiagMonitor V5.0
|IoT gateways||As an intelligent gateway to the cloud||MindConnect Nano
SIMATIC CloudConnect 7
|Motion control||For production machines and machine tools – motion control systems that support OPC UA for cross-vendor and cross-platform data exchange||SIMOTION IT|
|CNC controllers||Access the right machine tools more flexibly and easily with application-specific information models||SINUMERIK 828D
SINUMERIK 840D SI
|RFID systems||Standardized connection to cloud applications via an Industrial IoT Gateway||SIMATIC RF600
SIMATIC RF18xC and SIMATIC RF18xCI
|Motor management and control devices||Motor management and control devices with an OPC UA server for a flexible interface from the switchboard||SIMOCODE pro V PN|
|Soft Starter||Soft starter with an OPC UA server function for open communication with visualization and control systems||SIRIUS 3RW44 soft starter|
|Power supply systems||Easily integrate power supply systems into automation applications with OPC UA clients from different manufacturers||SITOP PSU8600 power supply system
SITOP UPS1600 uninterruptible power supply
|Supporting tools||Map or define OPC UA interfaces with the free tool||Siemens OPC UA Modeling Editor (SiOME)|
PROFINET – the Ethernet standard for automation.
Process Field Net, or rather PROFINET, is an industry technical standard for data communication over Industrial Ethernet, designed for collecting data from and controlling equipment in industrial systems, with a particular strength in delivering data under tight time constraints (1ms or less).
With PROFINET, Siemens uses the Ethernet standard for automation. PROFINET facilitates rapid and safe data exchange on all levels and thus supports the realization of innovative machine and plant concepts.
Thanks to its flexibility and openness, PROFINET offers maximum flexibility to the user when it comes to designing the machine and plant architecture. The efficiency of PROFINET ensures the optimum utilization of available resources as well as a considerably increased plant availability. Innovative Siemens products coupled with the performance of PROFINET result in a sustainable increase in corporate productivity.
Within the TIA Portal, PROFINET represents the communications standard of all new products such as SIMATIC S7-1500.
PROFINET is optimally complemented by OPC UA. The two standards work together to smooth the path to seamless communication in the world of automation and IT, and perfectly combine the advantages of both in a single Industrial Ethernet network.
Process Field Bus, or rather PROFIBUS, is a standard for fieldbus communication in automation technology.
PROFIBUS standard interfaces allow you to connect peripherals to your systems quickly and easily. SIMATIC offers network components for both electrical and optical transmission technology via PROFIBUS.
- Powerful, open and rugged bus system that ensures seamless communication.
- Fully standardized, enabling trouble-free connection of standardized components from a variety of manufacturers (data communication acc. to IEC 61 158/EN 50 170).
- Fast assembly and commissioning on site with the help of the FastConnect wiring system.
- Continuous monitoring of network components through a simple and effective signalling concept.
- High security of investment since existing networks can be extended without any adverse effects.
- High availability through ring redundancy with OLM.
- PROFIBUS DP for fast, cyclic data exchange with field devices.
- PROFIBUS PA for applications in process automation and in the intrinsically safe area.
- PROFIBUS FMS for data communication between programmable controllers of different manufacturers.
Actuator Sensor Interface, or rather AS-Interface, is an industrial networking solution (physical layer, data access method and protocol) used in PLC, DCS and PC-based automation systems. It is designed for connecting simple field I/O devices (e.g. binary ON/OFF devices such as actuators, sensors, rotary encoders, analog inputs and outputs, push buttons, and valve position sensors) in discrete manufacturing and process applications using a single two-conductor cable.
AS-Interface is a networking alternative to the hard wiring of field devices. It can be used as a partner network for higher level fieldbus networks such as Profibus and Industrial Ethernet
AS-Interface is an ‘open’ technology supported by a multitude of automation equipment vendors. The AS-Interface has been an international standard according to IEC 62026-2 since 1999.
Contact Simotech for all your Siemens SIMATIC NET requirements. Go to siemens.com/simaticnet for the complete Siemens SIMATIC NET portfolio.